People with this genetic condition live in fear because of the existence of a lucrative black market where body parts of people with albinism are used as muti medicine.
When you have a family member with albinism, it is important to be alerted to the reality and to be aware of dangerous crime trends and patterns.
Here are some important safety tips:
- Never walk alone. Set up a companion system and never walk in quiet, deserted places.
- Ensure that safe transport is used to transport family members.
- Always know where they are going, with who they are travelling and when they will be back.
- Never entrust a child with albinism with someone who you do not know.
- Know emergency numbers and who you can contact in case of an emergency.
- Mobilize support in the community and liaise with Community Policing Forums and School Management for protective action.
It has been proven that most criminal acts are preceded to a period of surveillance. Criminals seek to increase their chances of success by getting to know an area, seek out vulnerable targets and get to know their routine and strike at a place and time when the person is vulnerable, unaware and unprotected.
Change your routine regularly and be aware of your surroundings and the people in your area.